The Downtown Alameda Business Association works with 2nd Friday Art Walk to bring you this year’s Holiday Window Contest. Artists are matched with local merchants to create unique holiday window displays. Merchants are required to give artists a minimum of $100 dollar budget to work with for time and supplies. Cash and gift card prizes will be given to five lucky artists. Prizes are provided by our 2018 sponsors Flax Art & Design and Digifli, Electronic Community Bulletinboards.
Take a stroll down Park Street to view this years beautiful window designs. Remember to vote for your favorite window! Full map and merchant list coming soon.
View Last Year’s Windows!
Voting: Two ways to vote
1. (Preferred) Save a tree and vote via hashtag! Take a photo of your favorite window and hashtag it using the hashtag, #DAHWC
2. Limited paper ballots are available at each merchant location. Drop your ballot in Santa’s mailbox at Alameda Historic Theatre and Cineplex.
*Note: Please only use option #2 if you are unable to hashtag.
One vote per person please!
Meet the Merchants! Print this list and take it with you or use the Interactive Google Map.
In order from left to right.
Amos White is an awarded American haiku poet and author, producer/director and activist. He is founder and producer of: a creative’s salon, a jazz poetry show; and is community organizer with ACLU People Power-Alameda, and serves as an director or advisor on several nonprofit boards. Amos lives and works and plays in Alameda, CA with his young family. www.about.me/amoswhite
Ashton Images was founded in 2005 by aspiring fashion, portrait, lifestyle photographer Heather Reed, who upon vowing years earlier to never shoot children and family photos, now spends the majority of her time doing just that… and she secretly likes it.
Liz Rush has a BFA in Sculpture from the Academy of Art University. She is also the curator for art exhibits at McGuire Real Estate. Currently, she is serving as a member of the Alameda Public Arts Commission. Her full-time job is working as a Real Estate agent in Alameda and the East Bay.
Trish Herrera Spencer
Mayor of Alameda, Ca.
Public Information Officer at City of Alameda
Contest information for participating contestants
Important Artist Information
* Not all artists that submit will be selected. The amount of local artists selected will depend directly on the number of local shops participating.
* We will do our best to update and inform all artists that enter. Due to the high volume of entries it is not possible for us to contact every artist that enters. If you are wondering if you have been selected feel free to send out an additional inquiry.
* Artists work with a minimum $100.00 investment from the merchant. Merchants may also have products and/or merchandise to incorporate as well as boxes of window display decorations. Some merchants will have large window space display areas indoors, some will have an outdoor area. Every merchant will be different. It is your job to come up with the best and most creative solution for your window.
* Artist’s work directly with your merchant to come up with the theme and design. Some merchants may have a lot of feedback while others hand it completely over to you. Remember, every merchant will be different. In the end it is the merchant’s store window and they will have the final say in the overall design.
* Artist’s must leave room in their window display for the voting sign which will be approximately 8.5″x5.5″.
Winners will be featured on Digifli Digital Bulletin Boards!